Product quality is essential for a positive shopping experience. It is crucial that your products meet the SON standards before they are listed.
SON is the Standard Organization of Nigeria that supervises products, materials, processes, and services in circulation relating to their standards. The scope of SON cuts across electronics, chemical products, safety equipment, etc., and also supervises the activities of manufacturers while ensuring customer protection.
The major concerns are the quality of the product and the packaging of the content. SON’s two major schemes for determining standard compliance are:
- Mandatory Conformity Assessment Program (MANCAP): This is a mandatory program that ensures that all locally manufactured products meet the relevant Nigerian Industrial Standards (NIS) before they are sold or exported.
- SON Conformity Assessment Program (SONCAP): SONCAP inspects goods before shipment to ensure that imports into Nigeria comply with the applicable NIS or approved equivalents.
What are SON objectives?
Here are some of the objectives set by SON:
- Ensure that regulated products meet approved standards.
- Prevent the importation of substandard goods into the Nigerian market.
- Assess quality assurance activities.
- Monitor the standards of imported and exported products.
- Investigate customer complaints about product defects.
At Jumia, we strictly adhere to SON standards; hence, all products listed should follow these processes.
What are the requirements for products listed to meet SON standards?
- Product Certification
- Product quality assurance
- Investigation of production processes
It is important to state that these requirements prevent recurring issues regarding the listing of products without a SON certification.